Sunday, January 29, 2017

Mommy & Me Card-Making - "Rawr Means You're Awesome!"


 


I'd like to introduce my 5 year old son, Leroy (his nickname). He's quite the little handful, but always wants to make cards with me, so of course, I share my passion with him whenever I can! I even made him this project apron for whenever he helps me cook or does art--he's awfully proud of it, can you tell??









 
So today we decided to make a dinosaur card, because what 5 year old boy doesn't like dino's?!  We fiddled around for a while trying to figure out how to best put it together, and I then I was left to have to fussy-cut the mask in order to make it come together right.  Little Sneak even got a picture of me doing it!!
  We started by stamping the first dino, then masking it, and masking the hills we wanted to do. He liked "painting" with the ink and sponges. The lower hill was done with CTMH Topiary, the upper hill with CTMH Sweet Leaf. Thank Heavens for scrap paper on the table, BTW!!




 
Making cards with a 5 year old isn't the easiest thing in the world, let me tell you! But it IS possible, thanks in large part to my   MISTI!







  He re-inked and "closed the book" several times to get a nice even and dark color for each dinosaur, then the same thing with the brown spots on each critter. He chose all the colors, with some guidance from me: Hello Honey, Only Orange, and Lost Lagoon, plus Soft Suede for the dots, all from Stampin' Up.



    We used the MISTI to ink the Sentiment as well, using Black, Versafine Ink, then embossed with Clear embossing powder--I did the heat tool action, BTW! I then placed the die-frame and stuck it in place using a piece of washi-tape, and let him run it through the Cuttlebug. I didn't quite like the way it was looking, so I matted this piece on black and fussy-cut around the shape to give it a small black outline.  I also used the paper-trimmer to cut off the sides so it would fit on the card without covering too much of the design.









 

I still wasn't completely happy with it so we went back to the MISTI and added the branches at the top. I added the grass on the right by hand with my Copics, and the eyes with a Micron Pen. Leroy picked the background paper from one of the paper pads I've gotten for him: Paper Studio's Woodland Retreat.  He's so proud of how it turned out, and that (at least as far as he's concerned) he made it himself! 

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon!   

Leroy would love to know you enjoyed our blog post, by leaving a comment below!



4 comments: